The Board of Governors is conscious of its responsibilities to meet the legal requirements placed upon it by The Education Reform (Northern Ireland) Order 1989 in relation to the curriculum. It has therefore been decided that only children of compulsory school age will be admitted. If the school’s admission and enrolments numbers have not been reached the school will admit all children of compulsory school age whose parents wish them to attend. Any child who reached his/her fourth birthday on or before 1 July is of compulsory school age and must receive education from the following September.
The Board of Governors will apply the following criteria to identify which children should be admitted either at initial admission to education or on transfer from another school. In selecting children for admission for admission children resident in Northern Ireland at the time of their proposed admission to the school will be selected for admission to the school before any child not so resident.
1. Children of Compulsory school age.
2. Children whose brothers and sisters in attendance during the previous school year.
3. Children whose brothers and sisters previously attended school.
4. Sons and daughters of permanent employees at the school.
5. Children for whom the school is the controlled primary school nearest to their home.
6. Sons or daughters of former pupils.
7. Children with special circumstances (social, medical or security). The special circumstances must be made known at the time of application. The Board of Governors reserves the right to seek confirmation of the special circumstances from a statutory body.
8. The remaining places will be allocated on the basis of the proximity of the child’s home to the school, priority being given to those living nearest to the school (as measured in a straight line on an Ordnance Survey Map). Criterion 8 will also be used to discriminate within any oversubscribed criterion (except criterion 1).
Arrangements for Admission
During the summer term children to be admitted to P1 in September will be invited to come to the school with their parents to meet the teacher and to be provided with additional information.
Date of Admission
Children will be admitted to P1 in September of the school year following the child’s 4th birthday providing that this birthday is on or before 1st July.