Lisnadill Primary School is situated just over 3 miles outside historic Armagh City on the main Armagh to Newtownhamilton Road. We are 5 miles from Keady and 6 miles from Markethill. The current school was built in 1958 to replace the old school which was built in 1780 by Archbishop Richard Robinson.
The Old School
Built and opened in 1780 by Archbishop Robinson, Lisnadill Primary School was governed by the Rector and Select Vestry of St. John’s Church. It was originally a single storey white-washed building and was provided for all children of the area. The school had two small classrooms, a “Master” and a lady Assistant Teacher who were paid for by the Parishioners of Lisnadill Church.
Most children attended from 4 to 14 years of age, had to bring something to eat at dinner time and coal for the fires during the winter. Some of the older boys only attended school during the winter months.
In 1908 the Parishioners of Lisnadill Church built a grey stoned house beside the old school building for the Principal or “Master” of the school named Mr Forbes.
The Current School
It admits children from 4 to 11 years old and has a current enrolment number of 96, which is made up of both boys and girls. The school principal Mr Greig Savage is assisted by teachers Mrs V Martin, Miss J Proctor and Mrs C Speers and a principal release teacher Mrs P McNeely.
The recently upgraded state of the art accommodation comprises of an assembly hall/dining hall, a resource/library area, office and four large classrooms. Outside there is a large tarmac playground, football/rugby pitch and grassy areas for outdoor play.